US-Based Multi-National Pharmaceutical Company
Upgrade of the existing electrical system of building 16 at Merck’s West Point, PA campus, a key R&D facility at the site that was to remain in operation throughout the project duration. The project scope included, but was not limited to, the following:
- Correct identified code violations.
- Replace the existing diesel generator with a natural-gas generator in an exterior walk-in enclosure.
- Replace selected existing automatic transfer switches and associated feeders.
- New Building addition to expand the existing Ground Floor Electrical Room.
- Replacement of 3 existing building Substations.
- Replacement of existing Motor Control Centers
The project upgrades required close coordination with the building operations team and lab end-users. Planning for utility shutdowns, demo, and tie ins were required to limit impact on building operations. This project faced many logistical challenges due to the building construction type and limited mechanical/electrical room areas for install of the new electrical equipment, as well as ongoing laboratory campaigns and studies in all areas of the building throughout the duration of the project. The existing building construction also provided project constraints for material and construction access as well as utility routing and distribution.
A building addition and new natural gas generator were added to the rear of the building which presented challenges with underground utilities, potentially contaminated soil, and site security due to the proximity to the campus perimeter.